~Hello people of the Internet!! I`m going to Kassel today to meet Rumitha-akka (`akka` means `older sister` in Tamil) and spend around four to five days with her! Since tomorrow is Labor Day(HAPPY LABOR DAY in advance!!) and the next day(Friday) I have no classes, I decided to go explore Kassel! Any suggestions on where I should visit while touring Kassel? I`m planning to go to the Grimm`s Museum(I love Brothers Grimm!!) and Akka said that we could visit the castle there and `lepak`(I literally have no idea what this word is in English. Maybe it`s `hang out`?) in the park too! I`m so excited!!
~Two days ago I was trying to study Physiks(that`s how Physics is spelled in German– no joke) when I decided I should take a break from all that “studying”. Since my oven tray is crappy and broken, I googled for non-bake recipes, and found this recipe! The recipe was for chocolate cookies, but mine turned out to be a cake xD I posted the link to the original recipe further down. Here`s how I made the no-bake strawberry oatmeal cake:
- 2 cups(500mL) sugar.
- 3 cups Oatmeal.
- 1/2 cup strawberry powder(you can substitute it with cocoa powder if you don`t like strawberry).
- 1 cup milk.
- 1/2 cup butter(I used margarine).
- Lay out a sheet of wax paper on a plate and leave it in the fridge to cool.
- Mix the sugar, butter, milk and strawberry powder together. Combine them in a saucepan and heat them using medium heat. Stir till butter melts.
- Allow the ingredients to reach to a boil, but do not raise the heat from medium. When it begins to boil(bubbles form), remove it from the stove.
- Immediately add in the oatmeal and stir. Stir till there are no dry, white oats remaining.
- Now, you can either use a spoon and scoop large dollops onto the wax paper if you want to make cookies. If you want to make a cake, spread the `dough` on the wax paper. If cupcakes, then add the dough into the cupcake paper.
- Store in the fridge for around an hour, or freezer for around thirty minutes.
~I adapted this recipe from here. Initially, I planned on making cookies, but added one whole cup of margarine instead of half a cup as recommended… My mixture was too liquidy, and apparently margarine doesn`t evaporate easily, so I decided to make a cake instead. Two cakes actually, since I had tons of `dough`. I`ll rate this recipe 8,3/10. I really liked the taste of it, and so did Moksha, Riya and FuJie (Peeps who ate it with me). It was a little too sweet though, so you might want to reduce the amount of sugar you use. I still have a whole cake left… Anyone want some? 😛
~The cake doesn`t look too presentable, but never judge a book by its cover! I sent a photo of it to my cousins in our Whatsapp group, and one of them(we call him BBoy, or Rat) commented, and I quote, “It looks like strawberries on puke ._. ” Nil, another cousin in that group, said in a sarcastic typing tone, that I think that I`m a big time baker now, and that I don`t bake for them cause I only bake for celeb weddings…. Told them I`d bake for them when I return to Msia 😀 Sham, said “Thats so nice”. Only positive comment that came from the entire group! That`s why I love cousins! xD I`ll bring some to Rumitha-akka when I visit her as well 😀
~Man, I wanted this blog to be about everything– not just baking! But that`s the way it seems to be going. I guess it`s cause I`m too busy(or lazy, depending on your perspective) to write about my life. I can`t store recipes on books or papers though– not unless I want to lose them… I`m too fond of misplacing my items. I remember back in school, when my friend suggested that scientists should make little chips we could stick on our items. Then, we could use a remote to locate our items if we lose them(somewhat like GPS). I told her that I`d probably lose the remote too!
~I`ll have to go pack my bag for the five and a half hour journey to Kassel– see you later, alligator! (Yeah– I just watched Eat, Pray, Love a few days back) hehe. Toodles!
30/4/2014 – Wednesday.